Week 4. 5 things that happened this week
- On Monday I went to #oneteamgovglobal – my first unconference and an event I’ve been looking forward for ages. It was brilliant – energising, thought provoking, inspiring, exhausting. I met so many interesting people, pitched a session that was chosen, blatantly (and selflessly) put myself forward to help at any #oneteamgovNederland events* , and learnt some sketchnoting (thanks Sam Villis and kim mclaren ).
I was left with an overwhelming sense of hope after the event. You can read more about #oneteamgov and their principles here if you haven’t already come across this marvellous bunch of folks.
And whilst at #oneteamgovglobal I also met a whole load of #weeknotes folk IRL — an amazing bunch of people.
2. I met Emma who’s just joined our team from Teach First. The Delivery team is almost complete, with one more vacancy being advertised now and our apprentices being recruited in August. Shameless plug alert – if you’re a great agile delivery manager and want to build services for Hackney residents so great they want to use them** have a look below:
3. Stephen was back this week and we caught up about contracts management and procurement. He’s new to his role as well so we’re both still in the mode of finding out how things work at Hackney. It was a really good discussion – he’s brought with him lots of experience in local government procurement and contracts management which I don’t have, and I’m learning loads from him.
4. I’ve been thinking about how we can take forward our training and development strategy – I had a great discussion with Rob Miller about the thinking I’ve done so far, and possible next steps. I’m really excited about this work – and how we can make the most of the opportunities we generate to share learning and develop our capabilities.
5. We had a great Pipeline workshop with Rainmaker Solutions – converting user needs into stories and mapping out the current process. It really helped me to understand the problem we’re trying to solve and it was great to be working with Soraya who’s just joined the delivery team as well.
What I read/learnt this week:
From a recommendation from Robert Vos at #oneteamgovglobal I read about Lankelly Chase and their work on working with complexity
I learnt about AWS ReStart programme via a webinar. A really interesting training programme aimed at military leavers and disadvantaged youth via Princes Trust.
*#oneteamgovNederland doesn’t exist (yet). But I’m planning ahead.
** and you get join a brilliant team doing great stuff. . . .